Netflix revealed in September that it had reached a deal with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to produce videos, documentaries and shows for children. Royal sources, however, are said to be anxious about what the pair might end up making, The Sunday Times reported.
Subject to the backlash faced by the royals after the screening of The Crown’s new season, questions emerged over whether the former Duke and Duchess might end up doing under “royal-themed programming” pressure.
“None of the parties spoke publicly about cash, but the deal is reported to be worth about £ 75 million,” the outlet said. Harry and Meghan may be expected to have royal disclosures in the highbrow, uplifting material they have offered for that kind of money.
A nature documentary and an animation series to inspire women are in the pipeline so far but the stuff of nightmares in London remains to what extent they may be pressured to provide royal-themed programming,” it added.
Back in January, the announcement of Harry and Meghan to step down as senior royals raised some concerns. The pair said however, that they will strive to become “financially independent” and divide their time between North America and Britain.
In March, the couple concluded their last royal engagement before heading entirely to North America. They moved to Meghan’s home state of California just before they went into coronavirus lockout following a brief stay in Canada.
“They said in September, announcing their Netflix deal, “Our lives, both independent of each other and as a couple, have helped us to recognise the human spirit’s strength, bravery, endurance, and the need for connection.
Our focus will be on producing content that teaches, but also offers hope, through our work with diverse societies and their ecosystems to shed a light on individuals and causes around the world. As new parents, it is also critical for us to develop inspiring family programming, as is effective storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.
As Ted Sarandos revealed the Netflix contract, the company’s chief executive said, “Harry and Meghan have inspired millions of individuals with their authenticity, optimism and leadership around the world.” We are very proud that they have selected Netflix as their artistic home and are eager to share stories for them that will help create resilience and deepen viewer awareness everywhere.
When the fourth series of The Crown, the hit Netflix show based on The Queen, was released, the deal came under intensified scrutiny.
This caused controversy over his depiction of Prince Charles and Princess Diana’s relationship. In reaction, both Charles Spencer, the brother of Diana, and a government minister proposed that every episode should start with a disclaimer that the show is fictional.
Harry has also been consulting with Apple TV+ on a television series with Oprah Winfrey about mental wellbeing. In March, a Disney nature documentary, voiced by Meghan, was introduced.